Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hokkaido: Japan`s Wild North

Hokkaido is Japan`s northernmost island -- a vast, chilly farm-country of five-and-a-half million souls. Compared to the densely populated southern regions, it`s fairly rugged. Wide stretches of forest, the trees bent and half-denuded by Hokkaido`s frigid climate. Hardy fisherman and rice-growers toiling in the unspoiled countryside. Bears. Really expensive melons. These are the features that make Hokkaido the most remote -- but one of the most intriguing -- locations on the archipelago.

So anywho, there`s this thing my company does called "Tokubetsu Kenshu," which literally translates as "special training." In reality, though, it might as well mean "free vacation for everybody as long as they`re willing to listen to like, two hours of really tedious corporate speeches." My schools met their sales goals this quarter, so we got to go. And really, I can`t complain, since I probably wouldn`t get to visit Hokkaido otherwise.

Most of you have already seen these pictures on Facebook, but I`ll post `em anyway. For the sake of...uh...posterity, or something.
You will quickly notice that at least three-quarters of my pictures are from Asahiyama Zoo (the northernmost zoo in Japan).  By way of explanation, allow me to observe that I am an animal freak.  There`s no escaping this fact, so let`s just roll with it, shall we?  Anywho, here are some of my co-workers inside a penguin tunnel!  From left to right, you see Miho, Omura Manager, and Saki.

This, however, is NOT one of my co-workers.  This is a penguin.

This is Hiromu.  And no, his status as the only male teacher at either of my schools does not give him the power to warp the fabric of space and time.  He`s just standing behind a vertical glass tunnel.  (Although he may have the power to warp space-time as well.  I don`t know for sure).

Sleepy, sleepy polar bears.  I mentioned above that Hokkaido has bears, but I wasn`t talking about this kind.  It`s not quite THAT far north.

Red pandas are probably one of the most adorable things on god`s green earth.  They call them "lesser pandas" in Japan, but I don`t see them as in any way inferior to giant pandas.  I mean, giant pandas can`t even seem to figure out how to make babies, so it`s debatable which of the two varieties is really "lesser."

Yes, they have racoons in zoos in Japan.  Better in a cage than making a mess in our nation`s dumpsters and mating under our nation`s houses, am I right?

THIS is a proper Hokkaido bear.  Er, as a baby.  Wook at his cute wittle faaaaaaace!

This black panther made a point of glaring pointedly at the crowd and barking his displeasure.  Like, literally barking.  I didn`t know big cats could do that.  It reminded me of my obese cat Paddington coughing up a hairball.

Fun fact: if they get the notion, lions will lift their tails and projectile-pee on you.  What majestic creatures!

The heart of Hokkaido farm country. :)

From left to right: Naomi, Omura Manager, Miho, Saki, and Yours Truly.

Um..."stuffed with bear?"  Man, sweets manufacturers in Hokkaido are hard-core!

No comments:

Post a Comment